Sunday, September 1, 2013

Long Time No Blog, Pacific Northwest Edition

It has been a long time since I've blogged due to writing other things like journal articles (a bit on short film, SF film, global film, see here for titles), some SF starts, random internet threads about theory, and a dissertation. Those dissertation things sure take a while.

I've also transitioned back to the Pacific Northwest and I am teaching at Western Washington University this year as a Visiting Assistant Professor of Film Studies. This is an exciting opportunity, because I will be able to teach classes based on some of my writing/research interests. This fall, for example, I am teaching a class on 'Film and Television in the Pacific Northwest.' Teaching in the Pacific Northwest, and especially at Western, offers so many opportunities for a class like this. Early on in the course I will be taking the students to the Center for Pacific Northwest Studies on Western's campus and the Whatcom Museum to look at archival materials. They'll be looking at these materials alongside The General (1927), which should give us a rich sense of the 'Pacific Northwest in the Past.' I am also currently organizing a multi-projector screening of Harry Smith's experimental Heaven and Earth Magic (1957-1962) particularly exciting, because Smith was from Bellingham, but I'll have to dedicate another post to this further down the road. I'm also having local filmmakers from Hand Crank Films (www.handcrankfilms.com) come in and talk to the class about local film and video work, which will be exciting because a few students that are signed up for the class have been talking to me about their post-college career goals. Hand Crank's success illustrates the need for more graduates with a background in film. I'm also setting up an option to create a film for students interested in production – excited about the possibilities for video essays and documentary in particular! Part of my goal with this class has been to utilize the resources and community of Bellingham since we are, in a way, studying Bellingham! I hope that the student's work will contribute to local resources and future classes on the subject.

I recently got back from a working retreat set up by the Teaching Learning Academy and library at Western. The theme was 'Backwards by Design' and we looked at ways of approaching curriculum design from what we want students to learn in the end, rather than moving forward starting with content and assignments. It seems simple, but when you commit to approaching design this way I find that it results in subtle yet fundamental changes and innovative assignments. I think it is easy to get into a rut in assigning 'typical' assignments, but approaching these same assignments with a desired learning objective/threshold concept in the foreground reveals, at least to me, the ways in which such assignments aren't always sufficient if we're building real critical skills into our courses. The concept I'm working on in my Pacific Northwest class is the way that approaching an object of research from a particular method/discourse/theory presupposes a certain type of knowledge – borrowing from Feyerabend's Against Method, but we could also look to discourse theory in the vein of Foucault and Gee. This seems important to me for this class, because we will look at diverse types of film and television, each which provides a certain insight about the Pacific Northwest based on its formal and thematic modes.

I'm really happy that Western has these sorts of professional development opportunities, because it means that there is always a community for thinking through my work. The retreat was also an excellent opportunity to meet other faculty at Western! Glad to make some friends there and network with other Western folks interested in film. While I am teaching in the English department, I've made contact with faculty in Art History, Fairhaven College, the library, and Modern Languages who all research or teach film. There is some real interdisciplinary potential at Western for film students!

Well, I can't promise I'll start blogging more, but I'd like to repurpose this blog a bit and shift towards my teaching. I'll still probably post about films I've seen recently every once in a while, but writing about 'teaching film' seems like a useful exercise.


No comments:

Post a Comment